This diverse collection of short stories brilliantly illustrates the development of the new literary styles and perspectives that emerged during the course of the twentieth century.
* Lesson on a Tortoise, by D. H. Lawrence
A teacher has a challenging class
* The Teddy-bears' Picnic, by William Trevor
A newly married couple hit a problem
* The Rough Crossing, by F. Scott Fitzgerald
Crossing the Atlantic can be stormy
* Lamb to the Slaughter, by Roald Dahl
A pregnant wife has a problem on her hands
* The Rich Brother, by Tobias Wolff
Is there a limit to helping a brother?
* The Blood Bay, by Annie Proulx
A cowboy takes a dead man's shoes