「簡潔、博學且有趣，從《絲路到矽谷》(From Silk to Silicon)這本書，是全球化起源最具原創性的報導。」- 前墨西哥總統Ernesto Zedillo Ponce de León
成吉思汗 – 橫掃歐亞創建蒙古大帝國，開啟連結東西兩方的貿易路徑，開創了
羅斯柴爾德(Mayer Amschel Rothschild) – 從猶太隔離區崛起，創立史上最強大的
塞勒斯．菲爾德(Cyrus Field) – 全球通訊之父，建立了橫跨大西洋的電報系統，
柴契爾夫人(Margaret Thatcher) – 她受人爭議的政策，連結了各國經濟體，在實
葛洛夫(Andy Grove) – 逃離納粹魔掌的匈牙利難民，創立了大量生產電腦晶片的
The story of globalization, the most powerful force in history, as told through the life and times of ten people who changed the world by their singular, spectacular accomplishments.
This is the first book to look at the history of globalization through the lens of individuals who did something transformative, as opposed to describing globalization through trends, policies, or particular industries. From Silk to Silicon tells the story of who these men and women were, what they did, how they did it and how their achievements continue to shape our world today. They include:
• Genghis Khan, who united east and west by conquest and by opening new trade routes built on groundbreaking transportation, communications, and management innovations.
• Mayer Amschel Rothschild, who arose from an oppressive Jewish ghetto to establish the most powerful bank the world has seen, and ushered in an era of global finance.
• Cyrus Field, who became the father of global communications by leading the effort to build the transatlantic telegraph, the forerunner to global radio, TV, and the worldwide Internet.
• Margaret Thatcher, whose controversial policies opened the gusher of substantially free markets that linked economies across borders.
• Andy Grove, a Hungarian refugee from the Nazis who built the company—Intel—that figured out how to manufacture complex computer chips on a mass, commercial scale and laid the foundation for Silicon Valley’s computer revolution.
Through these stories Jeffrey E. Garten finds the common links between these figure and probes critical questions including: How much influence can any one person have in fundamentally changing the world? And how have past trends in globalization affected the present and how will they shape the future? From Silk to Silicon is an essential book to understanding the past—and the future—of the most powerful force of our times.